Wednesday, November 20, 2013

The Road Pages 73-93

Parallel: Beards have started to play a role in The Roads plot since I have seen it describe the evil people of the story. In the last passage, the father and son are found by one of the bad guys. In the description of the bad guy, it states " He wore a beard that had been cut square across the bottom with shears..." (63). Then, on page 91, the father and son encounter an army of the evil mean, with the coining them with the description "Bearded, their breath smoking through their masks". I thought this was a parallel because of how both descriptions of the evil men include beards.

Contrast: Good Vs. Evil is starting to become a major contrast in the story since we are starting to be introduced to people who we presume are evil. On page 74, the dad is washing dead brains out of his child's hair when he said "This is my child...That is my job". I thought this showed that the dads first priority was his son and not killing anybody, unlike the man they encountered in the who was willing to kill an innocent child. 

Questions: How is the dad able to keep the mentality that they have to survive by themselves and not take in the dog and little boy that his son wants to care for. If I were the father, I would have taken in the dog and boy because I feel bad for them. 

1 comment:

  1. Good reading to hear beard echo, but "our" man has a beard too. I like the XCUs of small details in your film of road, but rest of description can be more filmic. The good/evil distinction is important. Is the man simplifying the story for the sake of the boy? For the sake of his own endurance? Is The Road a story of courage and justice such as the man tells the boy?

    ReplyDelete